3.28.2012

Redlands Criterium

Took 12th in the kamikaze crash fest.

I'm very happy with my result and particularly happy I didn't crash. There were 6 different crashes, taking a few riders down in each! But the Redlands Crit is a sketchy course. I knew that from the year before when I took 17th. The first turn is a 45degree turn and someone went down on the second lap in that corner. I did my best to stay out of the wind, keep an inside line, and keep myself up front. That all changed when there was a really bad crash and the race had to be neutralized. Greg from NuVision went down during that crash. No one really knew when we were to start racing again so the field got bottled up.

Finally with five laps to go I started making my way up. Three laps to go, I'm in single file with the leaders. I have the Le Rois boys in sight, which is what I wanted. They seemed to stay out of trouble until... Two laps to go, two riders cross wheels up front and a few people take off with one lap to go. I quickly follow. I push hard and wait to go into the final turn ready for the uphill sprint. Out of the turn, I wait and then launch. I manage to only pass one person but finished with the main pack that dodged the final crash. Sure enough two riders crash at the line. Fuck dude. I don't think I have written the word "crash" that much before haha. Finished 12th.

I also realized mid-race that I forgot to press start on my garmin. (facepalm) which is whatever because I didn't have my powertap on. Well on to training and Tour de Sol in St. George, UT. After yesterday's finish I'm feeling good. This has been my best result so far. I'm going to try and keep this positive momentum going.

No comments: